Decker, M.D., a graduate of the medical department of the
Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, has been engaged in
practice in Lake City since September, 1887. In this period he has
built up an enviable reputation among his clients and the brethren
of his profession. Politically a Democrat, he was Town Clerk for
two years, was School Director for a similar length of time, and for
the past three years has been Health Officer for the township. He
has invested considerable money in real estate from time to time,
and now finds himself the owner of eighty acres of timber-land eight
miles south of this place, thirty acres in the vicinity of Star
City, and eighty acres of land situated a mile and a-quarter north
of Lake City, the Opera House Block and drug store, and four lots
here, in addition to his home residence.
The Doctor was
born in Livingston County, this state, March 12, 1863. His parents,
James and Sallie (Webb) Decker, were natives of
New York State. The former came to this state in boyhood,
and grew to manhood in Livingston County. During his active life he
was engaged in agricultural pursuits, but is now retired. He came
to Lake City in 1885, with his wife and family. He is of German
descent, and his father was born in the Empire State.
The Doctor is one of six children, three sons and three daughters,
whose names are as follows: Sheldon, Minnie, who became the wife of
George Coleman, of
North Dakota; Freeman; Clara, Mrs. Robert Van Orden, of this
county; Mary, Mrs. John Cosford, of Mancelona, this state; and John
W. Dr. and Mrs. Cosford are both practicing physicians of
education of Dr. Decker was obtained in Livingston County,
and after completing the course of instruction to be obtained in the
local schools, he took up the study of medicine. After his
graduation at Ann Arbor, he at once decided to begin practice in
Lake City, and the wisdom of his choice is now apparent, for he has
succeeded beyond his expectations. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and is also a Knight of Pythias.
1889, Dr. Decker and Miss Hattie Haze were united in marriage. Mrs.
Decker, who is the daughter of Dr. Charles and Orissa (Mead)
Haze, received the benefits of a superior education, and is
possessed of unusual attainments. She holds membership with the
Methodist Episcopal Church. The Doctor and his wife enjoy
the friendship of all with whom they come in contact, and extend a
ready hospitality to their acquaintances.